- ‘we’, ‘us’ or ‘our’ means the Quartz entity with which you are interacting as detailed above. For example, the Quartz entity organising the event you are attending, or managing the website you are using. We will make it clear to you which entity this is;
- ‘the site’ means the Quartz website you are visiting or engaging with; and
- ‘you’ and ‘your’ means you, the person engaging with us, registering for our events or services or visiting our site.
For Quartz companies operating outside of the EU but processing EU Data as defined under Art.3. GDPR, Synergy B.V. (A Quartz Company) acts as the EU representative to Controllers not established in the EU.
From January 1st 2021, for Quartz companies operating outside of the UK and EU but processing UK Data as defined under Art.3. UK GDPR, Quartz Events Limited acts as the UK representative to Controllers not established in the EU and UK.
2. How you can contact us:
FAO the Data Protection Officer,
Quartz Events Limited, Bedford House,
69-79 Fulham High Street,
London, SW63JW, United Kingdom.
FAO the Data Protection Officer,
Quartz, 2200 Pacific Coast Hwy, Suite 307,
Hermosa Beach, CA 90254 USA.
Email: [email protected]
3. Information we may collect about you
Information you give us:
We collect any information you provide to us when you complete registration forms, or provide us with your details over the phone, for example when you register an account with us, register to attend one of our events (whether as a delegate, exhibitor, speaker or attendee) or subscribe to our mailing list. This information might include your name, address, email address, phone number, credit card information and other information relevant to the event or service that you’re registering for.
Information we collect about you:
Collection of information contained in any correspondence between you and us via contact forms on websites, and emails or telephone calls.
- Through registration forms we may collect: contact details such as name, email address, postal address and telephone number; educational, nationality and professional information; interests and business information, such as roles and responsibilities; survey information, comments, feedback, posts and any other content submitted; and payment information, such as a credit or debit card number or bank account details where registering for paid events or services.
- We may collect identity verifying information such as passport details to comply with legal obligations in certain countries, as may be applicable, where requested, and other identifying information such as driver’s licenses or ID cards for verification purposes where applying for Press Passes or general entry to some of our events.
- Where we operate badged access in relation to any of our events, we may collect information about; your location in; and engagement, within the event. For example, for certain events access will be granted via a badge which holds your registration details including personal information. You will be required to use your badge to gain access to the event. In this situation we will collect information about when you enter the event and which exhibitors or sponsors you have engaged with.
- We may collect publicly available information including names, job title, employer, telephone, social media and business email address contact details to allow us to send you information about our goods and services using our legitimate interest to do so pursuant to relevant data protection legislation. You can request to stop receiving such communications at any moment by using the unsubscribe links in the footer of the email or by contacting us directly.
QUARTZ NETWORK: Information we collect about you as a Member or Solutions Provider
Quartz Network is a peer community of senior-level decision makers, where registered users (“Members” and/or “Solutions Providers” and together the “Users”) interact on the Site to share knowledge and professional experiences. In order to provide this Service, we may request that you enter certain personal information.
- In addition to Personal Information (as defined above), we may collect information, which may include Personal Information, from or about you through your use of our Services in the following ways:
- Registration: When you apply to be a Member of Quartz Network or register as a Solutions Provider, you may provide your name, address, date of birth, phone number, profile photo and any information you may share in your Member or Solutions Provider profile. We may also collect limited payment information from you such as payment method and billing information; however, we do not collect or store full credit card or bank information. All transactions are processed by a third-party payment processor.
- User’s Profile, Messaging and Commenting: Users may choose what information to include in their/its Profiles or through-out platform commenting; including professional affiliations, resume, educational background or work experience. Please do not post Personal Information that you would not want viewed by other Users of Quartz Network.
- Summits and Conferences: Users may be offered opportunities to attend virtual and/or in-person Summits or other Conferences hosted by Quartz. We may collect or use your information in connection with these events.
- Other Information: We may request or receive other information, such as feedback, questions, comments, suggestions, or ideas to provide quarterly benchmarking reports or other benefits related to the Service. In such instances, you will be given the opportunity to provide or decline that information.
Information we receive from third parties:
We may collect information about you from third parties that we work closely with for the purposes of delivering to you the services that you request from us. For example, we may engage third parties to assist us with our online event registration systems or payment systems; these third parties will collect information directly from you on our behalf. We may also engage third parties to operate event websites on our behalf; these entities will collect information directly from you about your visits to the website on our behalf.
- We may also receive information about you from third parties where you have consented to such third party sharing your information with us.
Sensitive Personal Data
If collecting or storing sensitive Personal Data such as information relating to health, beliefs or political affiliation, we typically ask for your explicit consent. However, there are some situations where it will not be possible to request consent, such as if you have an accident at one of our events. If this does occur, we will ensure your privacy rights are protected.
Children’s Personal Data
Our products and services are not intended for children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect Personal Data from this age group. If any information is collected from a child under the age of 13 without verification of parental consent, it will be deleted.
4. How we use information about you
For sales and product/event enquiries
To provide you with information that you have requested from us, in relation to events and publications we run, or other services we provide (for example on-demand content online webinars and e-newsletters).
Legal Basis: By specifically requesting information from us, you are consenting to us using your Personal Data for the purposes of communicating such information to you.
General administration and organisation of our events
As a Speaker, Exhibitor, Sponsor or Attendee to our events we may use your details for planning and logistics, to invoice you, to provide you customer service in relation to the event, and general administration of your attendance at the event. We may also share your Personal Data with other entities within Quartz for the purpose of assisting in the delivery of the event and/or provision of the applicable service.
Legal Basis: Where you have registered to attend or exhibit at an event, we need to use your Personal Data in this way to perform our contractual obligations.
To assess the activity of our attendees at our events
We assess how people move around and engage with our events. We do this using any apps you have activated or signed up to, and where you allow your badge to be scanned by exhibitors and staff at our events. We use this information for analytics, and to improve and enhance our events.
Legal Basis: It is our legitimate interest to monitor the location and engagement of our attendees at our events.
Badge Scanning Policy
Where you allow your badge to be scanned by an Exhibitor or Sponsor at one of our events your contact details will be transferred to the Exhibitor or Sponsor.
Live Event Feature Areas such as seminars and VIP areas
Where an event has a feature area such as a seminar or theatre, you may be asked to scan your badge on entry for the purpose of health and safety, analysing attendance to improve and enhance events and share your data in some cases with the feature area partner or sponsor.
Legal Basis: When we scan your badge for entry to feature areas we use legitimate interest for the purposes prescribed above.
If you wish your data to not be shared with a sponsor or partner of a feature area, advice will be given on how to notify us of your preference at the area entrance, dependent on the format of the feature area.
Enhance your Event experience
For exhibitors and sponsors, we engage logistic partners in order to enhance your experience at our events, such as engaging stand builders, electricity providers, carpeting, furniture, WIFI providers etc.
Legal Basis: We may share your details with logistic partners acting on our behalf: (i) as and when required in order to enable the performance of the contract we have with you; or (ii) so they may inform you of relevant services offered by such preferred partners as approved by the event organisers using legitimate interest or consent if and when required under applicable data protection laws.
To keep in contact with you about other similar events or services of ours that may be of interest to you, send you newsletters, offers or other marketing emails that keep you up to date with our news, events and products that may be of interest or for research purposes after an event you have attended to analyse the effectiveness of our products and offerings to you.
Depending on the nature of your interaction with us and applicable data protection laws, you may have actively given us your consent (i.e. opted in) or we may be entitled to rely on your implied consent or legitimate interests to market to you. The opportunity to opt out of future marketing will always be provided and you have the right to amend your marketing preferences at any time (see Your Rights in section 12).
Legal Basis: It is our legitimate interest to keep you up to date on similar events of ours you have attended our exhibited at in the past. Where we rely on legitimate interests in this way, we will always offer an unsubscribe options or a preference management tool on any marketing or research information we send you.
Online Event Content & Networking Platforms (including, without limitation, digital apps)
As part of your registration to fully Virtual (online) Events & to Live Events that offer online networking and content as an additional service, some of your registration data will be passed to our Networking Application Provider to create an account within the platform.
When entering an online event or content and networking platform you may engage in activities such as: visiting zones or rooms such as an online event space, exhibitor or sponsor booth; downloading content; attend/view live seminars.
As a result of such activities the platform, Quartz (and any event partner, as may be applicable) may collect, collate and share your personal information and data about your movements and interactions whilst in the virtual event space with the relevant sponsor or exhibitor to allow them to engage with you, subject to applicable data protection laws.
Legal Basis: In order to provide this service to you, your data will be given to the platform provider. Your data will be protected by the platform provider and not commercialized by them. You have the right to access your data, as well as editing or deleting it through the tools provided within the mobile application or web platform.
Photos and videos may be taken at our events, which may feature attendees, speakers, sponsors or exhibitors. Where we have taken photos and videos at our events that feature you as an attendee, sponsor or exhibitor, to the extent permitted by applicable data protection laws, those photos and videos may be used for promotional or, where applicable, commercial purposes. You have the right to withdraw the consent you have given at any time. This will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out by the Company before you withdraw your consent
You can find out more information on the privacy notice provided at the time you submit your data to us or in your contract with us (if applicable).
5. Who we might share your data with
In certain circumstances we may share your personal information with:
- Other Quartz entities for specific purposes. For example, where they may assist in providing products and services to you, manage internal analysis of the usage of Quartz products and services, or offer relevant products and services which may be of interest. Where the relevant Quartz entity is outside the EEA, we would only transfer data where an appropriate safeguard such as EU model clauses or such other methods as may be applicable under relevant data protection laws, exists between the entities.
- Any other Quartz entity or selected third party for a specific purpose that you consent to our sharing your information with for marketing purposes (such consent will be sought prior to our sharing of this data).
- Any other third parties where necessary to enable us to enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our employees or where such disclosure may be permitted or required by law.
- We may share your personal information with third parties outside Quartz including the Securities Exchange in the event of a sale, merger, acquisition, partnership, joint venture, collaboration, or negotiations related to the same with respect to all or part of our business.
QUARTZ NETWORK: How we share information
By using our Site or our Services, you agree to allow us to share the information you provide to us (which may include Personal Information) as described below.
With Quartz Network Users:
- Quartz Network allows the viewing and sharing of information (which may include Personal Information) through User profiles, peer to peer messaging, likes and comments. The information contained in your User profile may be visible to other Users of the Site.
- Our service allows Users to connect and collaborate with other professionals through participation in system-wide commenting. All posts and submissions made are visible to all Users of Quartz Network. This may include, but is not limited to documents, images, links, likes or comments.
Where required by law:
Where permitted or required by law, Quartz Network may provide Personal Information to third parties without your consent in order to comply with court orders, subpoenas, or other legal or regulatory processes where we have a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to: (1) investigate or defend ourselves against third-party claims, (2) investigate or prevent suspected unlawful activity; or (3) protect the rights or safety of Users of the Site.
- If you do not want Personal Information disclosed to a Sponsor, do not request Sponsored content or register for an Event or meeting.
- We may also send general promotional and marketing materials to our Members, including marketing research surveys. Quartz, in some cases will utilize a third party provider to deploy surveys and incentives. We use User information in aggregated form to understand our customer base and to market our services to our customers.
6. Purchases and Fulfilment
Quartz may request additional information such as credit card number and expiration date. This information is used for confirmation and billing purposes. The contact information you provide is used to service the order. Also, when you register for an Event, we may request additional information about your hotel, meal and other travel preferences. This information is used only for the specific Event.
Quartz uses third-party service providers such as credit card processing companies, shipping companies, mailing houses and event coordinators together with other service providers as required to satisfy client requests.
When you register for an Event, we provide necessary information to hotels and to facilities hosting Events. These parties are allowed to use that personal information only to provide services relevant to the Event.
If you do not wish for cookies to be installed on your device, you can change the settings on your browser or device to reject cookies. For more information about how to reject cookies using your internet browser settings please consult the “Help” section of your internet browser (or alternatively visit http://www.aboutcookies.org). Please note that, if you do set your Internet browser to reject cookies, you may not be able to access all of the functions of our websites.
8. Other Technologies
Quartz may use standard Internet technology, such as Web Beacons (also called clear GIFs or pixel tags) and other similar technologies, to deliver or communicate with cookies and track your use of our Sites. Quartz also may include web beacons in e-mail messages to determine whether messages have been opened and acted upon. The information we obtain in this manner enables us to customize the services we offer and measure the overall effectiveness of our online content, advertising campaigns, and the products and Services we offer through the Sites.
9. Third Party Content, Sites, and Contributions
10. How we look after your data and how long we keep it for
We use a variety of technological and operational security measures to protect your information against any unauthorised access to, unlawful use of, and modification and destruction of any Personal Data we store.
We will retain your information for as long as is necessary to provide you with the services that you have requested from us, or for as long as the law otherwise permits. Where you have not participated, attended or registered to attend or participate in one of our events, or otherwise engaged with us in four years, we will delete your data, unless we have an obligation to retain it for longer (for example for taxation purposes).
Transmission of information over the internet can be insecure, and although we employ measures to protect your information from unauthorised access we cannot always guarantee the security of information sent over the internet.
11. Where we store your information
Where you are interacting with a Quartz entity located inside the EU, our servers are situated inside the European Economic Area (EEA) and all of the information that we collect about you will be stored on these servers.
Some Quartz Websites, products and services are operated out of the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, please be aware that information you provide to us, in relation to such websites, products and services, may be transferred to, stored and processed in the United States.
12. Your rights in relation to your Personal Data
Quartz operates in countries with data protection laws that may provide individuals with the right to be able to access and control their information. We will always enable you to exercise the rights provided by the appropriate data protection laws.
12.1 Your EU Data Subject Rights
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), we collect and process Personal Data about you only where we have a legal basis for doing so under applicable data protection law, including under the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The legal bases will depend on the purpose for which we process your Personal Data as generally described in section 4.
You have the right to:
- Request access to your Personal Data
- Request correction of your Personal Data
- Request erasure of your Personal Data
- Object to processing of your Personal Data
- Request restriction of processing your Personal Data
- Request transfer of your Personal Data
- Right to withdraw consent
If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please contact the DPO (details below).
If you believe we have not complied with any applicable data protection law you can lodge a complaint with the UK data protection authority. In the UK, the relevant authority is the Information Commissioners Office, you can find their details at www.ico.org.uk.
We note that we are a “controller” for those services where we make decisions on how personal information is used in connection with our services, and we are a “processor” for those services where we only use personal information as allowed by our customers.
UK & EU Data Subjects – How to contact us:
FAO the Data Protection Officer,
Quartz Events Limited, Bedford House,
69-79 Fulham High Street,
London, SW63JW, United Kingdom.
Email: [email protected]
Quartz Companies outside the EU
12.2 California Privacy Rights
This section explains the rights of certain natural persons residing in the State of California (each, a “consumer”) may have under the California Consumer Privacy Act 2018 and such rules and regulations as may be adopted from time to time implementing and interpreting such Act (collectively, “CCPA”). The use of the term “personal information” does so as CCPA defines it, to mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household. However, personal information does not include publicly available, deidentified, or aggregate consumer information (which are all defined in CCPA). Also, the definition of “personal information” does not currently apply to the collection of personal information from job applicants, employees (whether you are our employee or any employee of our customers), business owners, directors, officers, medical staff or contractors.
Where we act as a “business” under CCPA (meaning we determine the manner and reasons for why we process your personal information), we may be required to disclose additional information regarding the categories of personal information we collect, the sources where we obtain that information, the purposes for why we collect that information, who we share that information with, as well as whether we sell that personal information – all of which depends on the specific service being provided.
- The right to notice. You must be properly notified which categories of Personal Data are being collected and the purposes for which the Personal Data is being used.
- The right to access / the right to request. The CCPA permits you to request and obtain from the business information regarding the disclosure of your Personal Data that has been collected in the past 12 months by the business or its subsidiaries to a third-party for the third party’s direct marketing purposes.
- The right to say no to the sale of Personal Data. You also have the right to ask the business not to sell your Personal Data to third parties. You can submit such a request by visiting our “Do Not Sell My Personal Information” section or web page.
- The right to know about your Personal Data. You have the right to request and obtain from the business information regarding the disclosure of the following:
- The categories of Personal Data collected
- The sources from which the Personal Data was collected
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the Personal Data
- Categories of third parties with whom the business shares Personal Data
- The specific pieces of Personal Data the business collected about you
- The right to delete Personal Data. You also have the right to request the deletion of your Personal Data that has been collected in the past 12 months.
- The right not to be discriminated against. You have the right not to be discriminated against for exercising any of your Consumer’s rights, including by:
- Denying goods or services to you
- Charging different prices or rates for goods or services, including the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties
- Providing a different level or quality of goods or services to you
- Suggesting that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
CALIFORNIA ONLINE PRIVACY PROTECTION ACT (CALOPPA)
Our Service does not respond to Do Not Track signals.
However, some third party websites do keep track of your browsing activities. If you are visiting such websites, you can set your preferences in your web browser to inform websites that you do not want to be tracked. You can enable or disable DNT by visiting the preferences or settings page of your web browser.
California Residents – How to contact us:
If you are a resident of California and are not a job applicant, employee/contractor, or employee/contractor of another company interacting with us in your job role, you have the right to request what category of personal information we collect about you, how we use that personal information, and the categories of third parties we disclose that personal information.
We will disclose and deliver the required information free of charge within 45 days of receiving your verifiable request. The time period to provide the required information may be extended once by an additional 45 days when reasonable necessary and with prior notice.
To make a request, you can contact us at +1 (434) 334-5220 and ask for the Quartz Data Protection Officer or by email to our Data Protection Officer at [email protected] or in writing to: Data Protection Officer, Quartz 2200 Pacific Coast Hwy, Suite 307, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254 USA.
Please provide us enough information to verify your identity. We will use information you provide to us to verify your request. If we cannot initially verify your identity, we may request additional information to complete the verification process, such as, for example, a copy of your driver’s license and/or a recent utility or credit card bill.
California residents also have certain rights regarding the “sale” of “personal information” (as such terms may be defined by CCPA). California residents have the right to opt out of such “sale” of their “personal information” in accordance with CCPA by sending an email to our Data Protection Officer at [email protected] or in writing to: Data Protection Officer, Quartz, 2200 Pacific Coast Hwy, Suite 307, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254 USA.
We will not discriminate against you because you have exercised any of your privacy rights under the CCPA.
12.3 CAN SPAM Act
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out tough penalties for violations.
We collect your email address in order to:
- Send information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
- Market to our mailing list or continue to send emails to our clients after the original transaction has occurred
To be in accordance with CANSPAM we agree to the following:
- NOT use false, or misleading subjects or email addresses
- Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way
- Include the physical address of our business or site headquarters
- Monitor third party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used.
- Honour opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly
- Allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email
12.4 How to Unsubscribe
If you no longer want to receive marketing communications from Quartz, you may unsubscribe by clicking the “Manage My Preferences” or “Unsubscribe” link within the Quartz electronic communications, or by otherwise following the instructions to “opt out” appearing on that communication.
12.5 Quartz Network Users Opt-Out Procedure
At any time, you may choose not to provide Personal Information through the Sites, in which case we may not be able to provide Services to you. Users can remove any and all Personal Information by editing the information in the user profile, or by closing their account.
Once your account is closed we will remove your name and information from our publicly viewable Sites. We may retain information related to you even after you close your account if reasonably necessary to comply with our legal obligations, prevent fraud and abuse or for other legitimate business purposes.